The Hospital Future Act (KHZG)
The Hospital Future Act (KHZG) was passed by the Bundestag on September 18, 2020. The aim of this law is to support hospitals in the expansion of digitization. The federal government will provide a total of 3 billion euros for this purpose from January 1, 2021. The states shall provide a further 1.3 billion euros for the investments. This means that a total of up to 4.3 billion euros will be available for the digitization of hospitals.
Up to 70% of the requested fundable costs can be covered by the Hospital Future Fund. The remaining 30% of the costs are covered by the state, the hospital provider, or both together.
Funding is available for projects that have started no earlier than September 2, 2020. The states can apply for funding at the Federal Office for Social Security (BAS) until December 31, 2021.
- Technical and information technology activities (incl. software and consulting services for planning)
- Personnel measures (incl. training)
- Spatial measures
- Procurement of certificates
Funding criteria at a glance
(§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 1-11 KHSFV)
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 1 KHSFV.
The adaptation of the technical and, in particular, the information technology equipment of the emergency department of a hospital to the current state of the art.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 2 KHSFV.
The establishment of patient portals for digital admission and discharge management for a digital information exchange between service providers, recipients, care facilities and insurance providers.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 3 KHSFV.
The establishment of consistent, structured electronic documentation of care and treatment services and of systems that support automated and voice-based documentation of care and treatment services.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 4 KHSFV.
The establishment of partially or fully automated clinical decision support systems that assist clinical care providers in making treatment decisions through automated guidance and recommendations with the goal of improving quality of care.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 5 KHSFV.
The establishment of a continuous digital medication management system to increase drug therapy safety, providing information on all drug-related treatments throughout the entire treatment process in the hospital.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 6 KHSFV.
The establishment of an internal hospital digital process for requesting and providing feedback on services in electronic form with the aim of speeding up internal hospital communication processes.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 7 KHSFV.
Coordination of the service spectrum of several hospitals for a balanced joint service structure that ensures comprehensive care and enables specialization. The measures also include the establishment of cloud computing systems.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 8 KHSFV.
The implementation and ongoing development of an online-based care record system for beds to improve collaboration between hospitals and other care sectors.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 9 KHSFV.
The procurement of information, communication and robotics-based systems or spatial measures to support physicians in the treatment of patients or to enable the use of telemedicine technologies.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 10 KHSFV.
The procurement of information or communications technology systems to provide state-of-the-art organizational and technical precautions to prevent disruptions to the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of the hospital's information technology systems.
§ 19 KHSFV Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 11 KHSFV.
Projects to adapt patient rooms to the special treatment requirements in the event of an epidemic, in particular by converting rooms with more than two beds into single or double-bed rooms.
As a hospital provider, you submit a demand application form at the responsible state for one or more digitization projects. Our team at Avelios Medical will be pleased to actively support you as an authorized IT service provider.
The state then reviews your submission of the application and informs you of its decision within a maximum period of 3 months.
If the decision is positive, the state applies for the funding at the Federal Office for Social Security (BAS). The BAS then also reviews the project and, if the decision is positive, transfers the funding to the applicant state. The state provides the BAS funding and, if necessary, other financial resources.
The funded projects are subsequently to be completed by December 31, 2024 at the latest.
Start into the future with Avelios Medical now!
We are happy to be your partner for the digitization of your hospital and support you in identifying and implementing relevant and eligible measures.